Sunday, June 8, 2008

Flood June 7, 2008

We had a flood yesterday. Yep, I am in West Central Indiana. I am lucky that I don't live near the rivers. I lost most of my pasture fence, my septic is full of water as is my crawlspace. The ditches on the property are full of debris. I thought I had lost my sheep. I finally heard one. It was trapped by debris against the paddock fence and the water was still rising. It bawled and I bawled. This is the worst flood I have seen here. Later in the morning one of my favorite sheep showed up in the yard. How she got there I don't know. She is very tame. She even came up to the porch. In the afternoon 4 more sheep showed up. The water in the paddock was too deep to go get them then. The pasture butts up to the paddock on one one side. They were up next to the one that was trapped. Finally, in the afternoon he got out. The sheep still wouldn't move. One of my neighbors stopped by and he tried to undo the fence by the sheep, but it wrapped around a corner and he couldn't get it undone. Later 3 more neighbors stopped by and we finally got the 5 sheep into the barn. The 6th one was already in the barn. It was hard work. They didn't want to do through the water. They had had enough deep water I guess.

I took at shower at my neighbors guest house (trailer). It was great. I need to wash dishes. I guess I'll do it camping style in a wash tub and dump the water in the yard. I can't do laundry or flush the toilet. I did laundry at my other neighbor's today. Their septic is in a different location than mine so it isn't full of water. Any serious toilet business has to go on elsewhere. I hope FEMA gets here in a hurry. Of course, this is FEMA (government). I understand they just got help to the people who were vicitms of the Great Chicago Fire. We are forecast for storms tomorrow again. I can't stand the thought.

Fly got to play in water yesterday. One good thing about this flood is we have no sewers to back up out here in the country. There are no livestock very close, except the sheep. By the time he got to play in the water the poop was long gone I imagine. He was so funny. That boy loves the water! The other 2 Pems, Tilly and Tyler had to stay in the house. Tilly runs off and it was too hot for Ty. Fly couldn't help herd the sheep back to the barn. He is too inexperienced and he is also vertically challenged.

I am going to try to post a couple pictures here. By the time I got the pictures taken the water had gone down. It was up against the house over the porch.

No comments: